Managing Time is Out, Managing Focus is In
- Written Goals – 90-second Goal Setting Exercise & P.U.R.E. model
- Crafted Strategies – Goals into weekly strategies for 12 weeks
- Set up Internal & External systems – Visualization and Accountability – Keeping it Between the Gutters
Now that we know what we want, how to get it, and set up the bumpers to help keep us on track, it’s now time to install the turbocharger! This week’s topic talks about Income Producing Time (IPT) and Income Producing Activities (IPA).
Maximizing Time Utilization – Income Producing Time
There’s really no such thing as time management! We all have the same 24 hours each day; however, there is such a thing as Time Utilization. Time Utilization and Time Leveraging is what separates the average achievers from the super achievers and refers to how we best invest our time.
In business, we typically talk about Income Producing Time and Income Producing Activities, which are the times and activities that directly create income. They do not include activities like marketing, sending emails, creating bids, service work, or anything that doesn’t directly support income growth and all of those activities should be done in Non-Income Producing Time. This is also known by the old adage, “Make hay while the sun shines.” While the sun shines, refers to the time when you can talk to prospects.
Income Producing Time & Activities?
Non-Income Producing Time & Activities?
Superstars, like you, typically protect income producing time and maximizing income producing activities. Knowing the difference between Income and Non-Income Producing is the first step. With your heightened awareness, you’ll be better equipped to protect prospecting time. For a simplified answer, Income Producing Time is ONLY Prospecting and Non-Income Producing Time is EVERYTHING else.
How can you do to protect your Income Producing Time?
Possible Answers: Block out time on your calendar for Income Producing Activities; eliminate distractions during that time; don’t allow ANYTHING to override your scheduled time; add buffer blocks to your schedule for all that other stuff; use a Pomodoro Timer to maximize efficiency and focus. (Pomodoro Timer link included for you to learn a little more about this crazy powerful technique.) There are several Pomodoro Timer apps available for most devices as well, so you don’t have to lug around a tomato.
- Choose your Income Producing Task
- Set Timer for 25 minutes
- Immerse yourself uniterrupted in the task (No potty breaks, drinks of water, snacks, answer texts (unless that’s the task), nor anything else.
- At end of time, give yourself a high five and a check mark
- Take a 5-minute non-working break. Take a walk, stretch, potty, drink, but NOT work related.
- Return to work area, set timer for another 25 minutes, and go again uninterrupted.
- Give yourself another high five and check mark.
- Every Four (4) Pomodoros give yourself a huge high five, celebrate, and take a 20-30 minute, non-work related break.
How can you maximize your Income Producing Activities?
Possible Answers: Block out Prospecting Time in your calendar; Protect Your Time; Plan your work well in advance including which prospects you want to sort; know your ideal prospect and how to reach them; use a well thought out Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software to prioritize your contacts and handle all follow-up tasks (Cloze.com is my personal favorite-powerful and inexpensive); and, maintain a mindset of SORTING vs. CONVINCING.
Cloze automates and makes keeping up with prospecting a cinch. I love it because it allows me to clear my mind of all the details that lead to a sale, reminds me what I need to do next, and, instead, focus on adding more prospects to my pipeline.